Monday 28 July 2014

Fossils, garlic and a buzzard

We put the trail camera out on the patio last night, hoping to find a Red Squirrel. Unfortunately all we saw were crows, magpies, blackbirds and rats! Undeterred, I've now got some hazelnuts (which I've been assured, no Red Squirrel can resist) and I will keep trying.


We had an early morning walk around the nature reserve and beach again this morning. The tide was out and it looked really pretty.
 

The Little Egret was out fishing again and we found some fossils (well, they may be fossils).




Still no sign of any Water Voles or Kingfishers at the nature reserve, but we did find some stripy Cinnabar moth caterpillars, damselflies and dragonflies.



We had lunch at The Garlic Farm, which is a lovely place to visit. They have a wonderful wildflower meadow, tractor rides around the farm and lots of garlic!


On the way there I spotted a large raptor, sitting on a fence post. On the way back it was still there, so I persuaded Bug Mad Dad to go back for another look. As we pulled up beside it in the car, it took off. We had a wildlife documentary moment as we drove down the road with an enormous bird flying next to us and me hanging out of the window trying to get a photo. I managed to get a couple of decent photos of it and I think it must be a Buzzard (but I'm not sure).

#100DaysOfNature day 5

No comments:

Post a Comment