Friday 27 February 2015

Badger bank

During one of my regular snuffles through the woods, I stumbled across a massive badger's sett. It was on a bank below the path through the woods and when I climbed down to take a look I realized that there were at least 20 (probably more) entrances and the whole area was pock-marked with holes and hummocks stretching away along the bank.

 

There were holes everywhere. Some were leading out of the bank and formed a distinctive D shape (with the flat part of the D on the bottom), while others were hidden in the tree roots.


 
A clear trail led from the sett, back up the bank. There were lots of footprints, but it was very muddy so I couldn't make out any clear tracks.

 
 I found a couple of latrines with fresh poo in them - I could smell it, but it wasn't a strong smell like dog or fox poo.



What an exciting discovery and it just goes to show that you never know what you'll find just around the corner! I've regularly walked within a few metres of the sett, but it was only when I took a different path that I actually noticed it. I'll keep an eye on it and take Bug Mad Girl back there to see if we can spot any more signs of life. Perhaps we'll set up the trail camera and see if we can get any pictures of them.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so jealous right now lol. Badgers are still top of my wish list. Wish I can see them with you :( lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a new post up that might interest you on my blog. How to draw garden birds.

    ReplyDelete