Monday 15 February 2016

Spring has arrived!

Spring has been threatening to put in an early appearance this year, so I was over the moon when it finally arrived, through the letter box, last week! It wasn't the nesting birds, smiley-faced flowers kind, but a new book that I have been lucky enough to be involved with.


Spring, an anthology for the changing seasons is the first in a series of books by the Wildlife Trust, containing both old and new writing about each of the seasons. The blurb on the book says it contains extracts from classic texts, new work from established nature writers and pieces by Wildlife Trust supporters. I fall into the enthusiastic Wildlife Trust supporter category!  My piece of writing keeps some very illustrious company in the line up of authors!


My contribution to the book was about the wonderful snake's head fritillaries that put on a fabulous display each April in Oxford's Iffley Meadows, but are now lost from many of our traditional water meadows.


Quite by chance I saw a tweet from the Wildlife Trust saying the last chance to pitch an idea for their new Spring book was the next day. I followed the link in the tweet, found out more about the book and thought I would give it a go. I never expected them to like my idea and just sent a pitch in as I had nothing to lose. Anyway, the publishers came back to me and asked me to write the piece and it's ended up in the book. I have my first piece of writing published in a book and my first publishing contract. That's pretty exciting!

To read the piece I wrote you'll need to buy the book, which is out on Thursday.
http://eandtbooks.com/book/spring-anthology-changing-seasons

No comments:

Post a Comment