Thursday 15 June 2017

#30DaysWild day 15 - A sawfly present


Most daughters bring their Mum's flowers from the garden ... mine brought me this handsome beastie as a present!

I wasn't really sure what it was, so asked Martin Harvey (who knows everything about little flying things) and he said "I'm certain that it is a sawfly, and I'm pretty sure that it is in genus Xiphydria. The leg colours should mean that it is Xiphydria longicollis, a species first found in Britain in 1984 and as far as I can find out only recorded once since then!" He has sent the photos to Andrew Halstead, a sawfly expert, to confirm the id.


What an exciting discovery! Well done Bug Mad Girl!!


We took some photos, then Bug Mad Girl put it back where she found it. Martin was keen to see it, but, unfortunately, it's no longer where she left it. We'll keep an eye out for it and see if we can find it again.


I may not get flowers, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

26/6/17: I've now received confirmation from sawfly expert Andrew Halstead that this is Xiphydria longicollis. We've been keeping an eye out for it, but no sign of it yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment